Saturday, February 17, 2007

Boswer Update


Bowser last night was excellent. After last week I was discouraged,wondering if the kids would ever see Jeus’ love in us, and whether Friday nights was helping them in life at all, since they come from really rough backgrounds. Last night was really encouraging. I’ve beenn praying for them a lot more since last week. I’d been praying for a house in Bowser that could be open for the kids to drop by, a safe place where they’d be welcome and could talk about the difficult stuff they’re going through, and just have fun and be loved. As I was praying thurs. night, the thought came to mind “Hey Linds, are you willing to be the answer to your prayers?” God’s done that in my life before, where I’ve been praying for someone, thinking I would have nothing to do with the answer and boom, He uses me. But living in Bowser would not exactly be paradise in many ways. However, with the other things God’s been teaching me, I’ve been learning that it’s best to live by principles, things I know to be true rather than on impulse, since my impulses are rather fickle. I’ve tasted what it’s like to do what God wants me to, to obey Him, and thought it be hard, man, it’s where true living is. So all that to say, I don’t know whether one day I’ll live in Bowser, but I came to the point of being willing to be a part of the answer to my prayer for these kids.
Anyways, back to last night…as we were driving from Tim and Donna’s to the church, me with Donna, and two girls, Diva ( girl in the middle in the pic) and Whinnie, for the first time the conversation between me and the two girls was really fun and natural. We were laughing and talking, and then Diva started to make a funny voice, kinda naisely. I answered her question in the same weird voice. D “you’re easy to imitate” L “no, you’re easy to imitate”, D (still in weird voice: “you’re easy to imitate” L “your Mom’s easy to imitate”. For those of you who don’t know, that’s a mom joke, which have been popular with junior high kids. Diva, in amazement said “wow, you’re cool! You talk just like us!”. That, and other comments and gestures throughout the evening formed a milestone point, as the kids realised “oh, I thought you were like old…….you can relate to us”. They smiled as I joined them in goofy dances, and distracted talking, and comparing what we could do on a skateboard. Daniel (guy in pic) was super un to be with--he'll make a great leader one day :) and we might get to skate board together. Finally they’ve accepted me, and I’m not a distant, disciplinarian adult. Thanks God!!

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Kriss said...

I'm excited for you and the good things that God is doing through you in Boswer. It's neat to hear you're becoming cool to those kids! ;)

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Jeff Janzen said...

I'm so glad that you're connecting with the kids. It's like a total shot of goodness in the arm when something like that happens. Thanks for being transparent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home